Thursday, March 25, 2010

"A Limp & An Eye Patch" Blake Snyder

While acknowledging there is absolutely no sane basis for me to lecture on writing, I have picked up the odd bit here and there which I've found helpful and, since the blog is up and running anyway, I thought I'd slip some of my favourites in every now and then.

A Limp & An Eye Patch is from Black Snyder's excellent book "Save the Cat!" (which everyone must go out and purchase immediately). It's about making the character pop and giving the audience something visual to hang the hero's character on. It might be a mustache, a hat, a scar or a, wait for it, eye patch. 

In James Bond movies they're really good at it. Think of the villains. Jaws. Scaramanga. Blofeld. Oddjob. Nick Nack. Do your villains pop? Does your hero?

Again, lots of good advice for writers in Save The Cat ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment