Saturday, March 20, 2010

Getting the Finance Approved.

Here's the thing - for the last two years I've been exclusively using Word and I've completely ignored Excel. Not anymore.

Before approaching my wife with my plan to postpone our holidays and renovations and seriously reduce our weekly grocery budget I thought it might be prudent to cost things out.

Initially with pen and paper I worked out, from surfing the net, what I might expect to spend on this project. With the calculators on Createspace I was able to confirm these figures (except, as I've mentioned before, with regards to postage).

Being a master of both time wasting and building mountains out of molehills, I then began a day and a half of cussing at Excel. In the end I found out something which amazed me - my original pen and paper calculations were right. It WAS going to cost me an arm and a leg!

To bring this little project to life I was going to need a lot of money. AUD $8,705.40 to be exact. And by exact I'm excluding many of the marketing ideas I have, which I think will require an additional $1000 (only I haven't priced them yet so I'll go into that later). So I had my figures.

Now the tough part - convincing the family banker.

I doubled the figure to $17,500 and casually mentioned it to my wife.

There was a pause while she tried to decide if I was serious or not. Finally she decided I was serious, but not to be taken seriously. She told me to go away and work out a way to halve the amount and then we'd talk.

:) He shoots. He scores!

No comments:

Post a Comment